Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy

“You can’t change your past, but you can choose to change your future”


Hypnosis is a totally safe and natural state and its use has been documented over thousands of years. The British Medical Association in 1955 recognised the effectiveness of hypnosis as a therapeutic tool.

We all experience hypnosis several times a day, often without realising it. It’s that feeling when you’ve been daydreaming and someone calls your name several times before you hear them. Or when you’re driving along the motorway and suddenly realise several junctions have passed without noticing them. These are examples of light states of hypnosis.

There are many different levels of hypnosis, during which your metabolism, breathing and heartbeat slow and the brain produces alpha waves which are different to waves produced when sleeping, dreaming or being awake. In this state your body relaxes and your mind becomes more receptive.

Our Conscious and Subconscious Mind

We all have a conscious and a subconscious part of our mind. Our conscious mind gets on with everyday life, thinking about each situation logically and deciding what we should do. But the conscious mind is only responsible for about 10% of our daily behaviours. The other 90% of our behaviours are in our subconscious mind, where we store all of our beliefs, behaviours and habits, based on our past experiences. This becomes a model for how we will behave in the future and is where our automatic responses are stored. It is how you know how to use a knife and fork without thinking.

Unfortunately, sometimes our subconscious mind produces unhelpful automatic responses such as running away from a harmless spider or suffering a panic attack in a supermarket.These can create anxiety and problems in our lives and result in those familiar phrases – “Why do I always do this?” or “Why can’t I do that?” It is very difficult for your conscious mind to change those negative behaviours, thoughts or feelings once they become established. However, the good news is that negative behaviour patterns can be ‘re-wired’ and new neural pathways created simply by using the power of your mind.


Clinical Hypnotherapy is simply therapy whilst in hypnosis. It is a natural and effective technique for accessing the subconscious part of the mind while you are deeply relaxed. The subconscious mind then becomes more receptive to making beneficial changes to your thoughts, beliefs and behaviours, allowing you to find solutions to your problems and concerns.

Suggestion Therapy

Suggestion therapy works by creating new positive beliefs to alter or improve existing negative ones that may be holding you back. For example, it can help you to change unwanted habits, reduce pain, alleviate fears or increase your sports performance.


Hypnoanalysis allows you to safely get to the root cause of a deep-seated problem. The effects of this therapy can be profound and resolve symptoms that have troubled you for life. This therapy works well on many conditions where there is a psychological or emotional content.


For information about therapy session fees click here

Your Next Step

Call or e-mail me to discuss any aspects of Hypnosis or Hypnotherapy and how it may be able to help you.